Friday, May 16, 2008

Paradise Restaurant

Paradise Restaurant: 883 West Eisenhower Parkway, Ann Arbor

Located in the Collonade Shopping Center (Big Moes, some hair place, etc. etc.) near the Briarwood Mall, Paradise Restaurant specializes in Chinese and Vietnamese Cuisine. As the first Chinese restaurant visited in my quest for W.C. restaurant knowledge, I was actually feeling a bit confident about the experience. Frankly, I've eaten at Paradise before, so I knew that I'd be okay. Being Christy's favorite Chinese place in the area, I thought it would be a good one to start at, to sort of rev me up for all the other Chinese places I will have to eat at.

Why do I dislike Chinese food? Good question. First, it is (in my experience) always disgustingly greasy. I once got garlic green beans (thinking it would be a healthier option) from an anonymous Chinese place (which I will visit again, sometime) that were covered in so much oil and butter that it ate through the carryout container.
Second, I once got food poisoning (it had to have been) from eating at a Chinese restaurant and so even the thought of Chinese makes me a bit queasy (I will, unfortunately be eating there again as well - YEAH FOOD POISONING). Third, the descriptions and names of foods are never appetizing to me. (come-on Rainbow Beef? Sounds like something that spoiled out a few weeks ago) Fourth, the plate comes and everything is brown. Now I know I don't see color very well, but when everything seems to match on a plate, I'm a bit suspicious. Fifth, it is often too salty.

So, there's the facts, man. Enjoy the review.

My Meal: Egg Drop Soup, Kon Pao Tou-Fu, Hot Tea

My Cost: $13.57


Atmosphere:
Pretty typical. Extra points for the giant Buddha statue when you
walk in. Points deducted for the fake flowers (not a fan at all, don't understand fake plastic trees, either (Radiohead reference)). Christy will be happy to know that I did visit the restroom and found it to be very clean and fresh smelling. A subtle floral aroma. The music was awesome; tripped out 70's disco and Crystal Gayle type ballads- all in Chinese! Definite extra point, there. Everything pretty clean, except our table. Side comment: the silverware was the heaviest I'd ever felt at a restaurant - almost weapon class. Overall, the dining room felt really cozy. In fact, I didn't want to get up right after eating. So we sat and chatted.

Service: Luckily, I was eating with Christy. The lady who owns Paradise is apparently not a fan of me. I am trying hard not to judge the service on past experiences, but she is not so nice to me. She loves Christy, though. Who can blame her. Service did improve over the last few times I've been there, so I can only assume that she warms up to more "regular" customers. Points taken away for not recommending a popular or favorite dish. How can there not be a most popular dish at a Chinese restaurant? Anyway, she was prompt, attentive and courteous. I am giving bonus points to the cute guy in jeans who kept refilling our water glasses.

Taste: Great portion sizes, flavorful kon pao sauce and the tofu was fried perfectly. The egg drop soup lacked a little seasoning, but what do I expect from egg whites and broth? The consistency was great, though - nice ribbons of egg white with none of those chunky ends or slimy pieces (yeah, you know what I mean). The rice was sticky but not dry. The only thing I would have liked was for there to
be more heat to the kon pao sauce. I asked for medium and it was really mild. I guess I could have eaten those deadly dried peppers, but really, am I going to? The veggies were fresh and cooked really well. Pretty standard, though not to greasy. I may have to reevaluate my first point.

Value: Good portion size (isn't that what I'm looking for?) for the money. Pretty standard but worth the money. Drinking a lot of tea also helps.

BREAKDOWN
Atmosphere 1 2 3 4 5
Service 1 2 3
4 5
Taste 1 2 3 4 5
Value 1 2 3 4 5

OVERALL: 3.25


Elephant Count

I will probably eat at Paradise again (Christy likes it). I give it two elephants and recommend it for those looking for a comfortable yet affordable night of Chinese. The carryout would be a great option, as well.



Happy Eating!

3 comments:

Alison said...

What is it with Chinese cuisine and funny names? Not only do the meals have funny names, but the restaurants usually do, too.

Lady Lisa said...

I just ran across your blog from a friend of a friend. GREAT idea! I wish I had the stamina (and cash) to try all the restaurants in Washtenaw County. Not that you'll have a lot of repeat visits, but next time try the spring roll vermicelli from Paradise. It's my favorite thing on the menu, hands down. Keep up the good work for us foodies. :-)

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE this restaurant!!!! I've been going there for 9 years (I'm now 14), and it is the only chinese restaurant that I will eat food at. Vicky and Alan (the owners) are the nicest people that you will ever meet (might have to do with me being a regular). Note to the reviewer, that cute guy in jeans is Vicky and Alan's son. I absolutely love their kon-pao shrimp, and the kon-pao triple flavor, and the orange beef. Another favorite of mine, is the cold noodle with sesame seed, and my absolute favorite thing at paradise is the the crab cheese (crab rangoon), if either Vicky or Alan are reading this, they know who I am. I highly recommend this restaurant, it is wonderful.